Partner George F. Rice specializes in the areas of not-for-profit law, not-for-profit housing law, zoning and land use, real estate, and higher education law.
Mr. Rice began his practice of law as a Reginald Heber Smith Fellow, serving the poor of the New Rochelle community by facilitating the formation of not-for-profit entities. In 1970, he became associated with the firm of Bennett, Kaye & Scholly in Rockville Centre, where he practiced trial law, real estate and not-for-profit corporation law.
After becoming a partner in that firm, he worked with the attorney for the Roman Catholic Diocese of Rockville Centre and in 1987 was named as Diocesan Attorney, a position he held for more than 15 years. Mr. Rice has also represented the Catholic Campaign for Human Development, and has represented the church in organizing and developing more than a dozen new housing corporations which today provide affordable housing for more than 1,250 senior citizens of limited means.
During this time, he was a frequent speaker on matters involving employment law, land use and other related subjects. He has also represented higher education institutions and commercial entities.
- All State Courts in New York State
- The United States District Court for the Eastern and Southern Districts
- The Suffolk County Bar Association
- National Association of College and University Attorneys
- Niagara University, B.S.
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D.
- University of Pennsylvania Law School, Reginald Heber Smith Fellow
- Chairperson, Jefferson’s Ferry Continuing Care Retirement Community
- Former Member, Board of the Eastern Region of Catholic Health Services
- Former Member, Board of St. Charles Hospital
- Former Member, Board of the Good Samaritan Medical Center
- Former Member, Board of St. Catherine of Siena Medical Center
- Former Chairperson of Catholic Health Services of Long Island
- Former Chairperson of St. Charles Hospital and Rehabilitation Center
- Former Co-Chairperson of the Long Island Healthcare Network.
Awards and Honors:
- Catholic Health Services Homecare and Hospice Service Award
- St. Charles Hospital Theodore Roosevelt Award
- Jewish National Fund Certificate of Honor
- Catholic Campaign for Human Development Commendation
- Sisters of Charity Seton Award
- New York State Association for Services and Housing for the Aging 2008 Trustee of the Year